As for the purpose of the seven major chakras? They each correspond to specific organs as well as physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual states of being which influence all areas of your life. Within these chakras is ‘prana,’ or the ultimate pure healing energy, that’s all around us and within us, to keep us healthy, happy and vibrant.
We have major and minor chakras in our energetic body systems. When a chakra is not functioning properly or if it is blocked, illness is more prone to occur. Our well being on all levels can be affected by the chakras. If we are feeling depressed, then we may not be taking in the maximum amount of energy for our needs. If we don’t nourish our bodies properly, then we may take in less energy. If we “block” feelings such as anger, etc., or do not speak our truth, we may be unconsciously impeding our healthy energy flow.
On the other hand, when we work on our physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health, we can promote the flow of energy through our chakras. Meditation, prayer and yoga are all ways that we can work to strengthen and enhance the flow of our chakra systems. Clearing out clutter in our lives, physically and emotionally, helps to strengthen our energy flow. Forgiveness and gratitude greatly enhances our energetic health. And one of my favs... crystals/gemstones can also help realign our chakra energies bringing balance and healing.
Here’s your guide to the 7 main chakras and the symptoms you may feel if they’re blocked.
Purpose: Understanding, our connection to Spirituality and Higher Self and life purpose
Location: Top/center of head
Physical Body: Hypothalamus, central nervous system, cerebral cortex
Color: Purple or White
What it is: The crown chakra is the meeting point between your physical body and individual consciousness meets a higher state or universal consciousness. This is what enables you to experience spiritual growth and feel connected to the universe. This chakra helps you move past your materialistic needs accessing the utmost clarity and enlightened wisdom.
When it’s blocked: A crown-chakra blockage may create feelings of isolation or emotional distress—basically feeling disconnected from everyone and everything. Or, you might feel like your normal self—just not in an exalted state of spiritual connection and enlightenment, which is totally okay and seriously normal. Unlike the other chakras, the crown chakra is often only opened up fully through specific yoga or meditative exercises, or at certain times—which is not a skill set you can call upon at any given moment. You may be able to get a taste of it, though, through daily practices—anything from meditation, prayer, to moments of silence and gratitude—to have those moments of spiritual connection.
- Overactive - addicted to spirituality, craving attention, needing to be popular, judgmental, ungrounded, dogmatic
- Underactive - misunderstood, unable to have fun, lack of faith, anger at the universe, brain fog/learning difficulties, depression
- Balanced - connected to source, wise, joyful, sense of peace, intelligent, aware, wise, enlightened, strong faith, universal love, understanding
Crystals: Selenite, Clear quartz, Lepidolite, Amethyst, Fluorite, Sugilite, Diamond
Purpose: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions
Location: Middle of forehead
Physical Body: Brain health, pineal gland, vision
What it is: The third-eye is your intuition. It’s your perception, imagination, memory, wisdom and the ability to think and make decisions. It is also connecting your higher and lower self and intuitive clarity. It’s the link between you and the outside world allowing you to cut through illusions to see the clear picture.
When it’s blocked: You may have trouble accessing your intuition, trusting your inner voice, recalling important facts, or learning new skills. And if your lower chakras—AKA the root, sacral, solar plexus, and heart chakras—and are unbalanced, your third eye will likely be as well, which may cause you to act more judgmental, dismissive, and introverted. A third-eye blockage is associated with a broad range of issues, including depression, anxiety, and a more judgmental attitude—while physically, it’s said to cause headaches, dizziness, and a slew of other brain-health issues.
- Overactive- spaced out, lost, worrying, delusions, nightmares, sees too many spirits, obsessive, overthinking to an extreme
- Underactive- can’t see big picture, easily influenced, confused about purpose, doubts self, can't see beyond the physical, lack of focus, poor judgement, poor imagination
- Balanced- intuitive, charismatic, wise, understands purpose, imaginative, clear vision, sees beyond the physical
Crystals: Amethyst, Fluorite, Labradorite, Moonstone, Lapis Lazuli, Sodalite
Purpose: Communication, self-expression of feelings, speaking the truth, holding secrets
Location: Center of throat/neck
Physical Body: Throat, thyroid, parathyroid, voice, neck, jaw, mouth, larynx, ears
What it is: The throat chakra rules all areas of communication and self-expression. Making sure that you’re speaking your inner feelings and truths and that they’re being properly communicated. It’s also about our ability to listen as well. Are we listening to others, but more importantly are we listening to ourselves?
When it’s blocked: Most often when there is a block in this chakra you’re holding in your emotions and not speaking your truth. You could have a fear of speaking, difficulty putting feelings into words, shyness or a weak voice. Often there is a fear of judgement from others. In an overactive state you could also talk too much (possibly as a defense mechanism) or struggle to listen to others. Physical issues are most often sore throats, thyroid issues, neck and shoulder stiffness, or tension headaches.
- Overactive- speaking too much, boring others, criticizing, stubborn, critical, gossips, yells or talks over others, harsh words, opinionated, loud
- Underactive- difficulty expressing personal truth and emotions, afraid to speak in public, perfectionism, creativity blocked, feels misunderstood, not a good listener, can't express or speak out, secretive
- Balanced- expresses self & truth, strong communicator, creative, diplomatic,
Crystals: Lapis lazuli, Aquamarine, Kyanite, Blue lace agate, Turquoise, Celestite, Apatite
Purpose: Love, joy, inner peace
Location: Heart region
Physical Body: Heart, lungs, thymus, breasts, arms
What it is: This chakra represents where the physical and spiritual meet and is the bridge between the lower and upper chakras. Although it governs all organs of the chest, it’s also all about our ability to love and the awakening to spiritual awareness. When your heart chakra is aligned and balanced, love and compassion flow freely in both giving and receiving providing inner peace.
When it’s blocked: A closed heart chakra can give way to grief, anger, jealousy, fear of betrayal, trust issues and hatred toward yourself and others—especially in the form of holding a grudge against something or someone. Holding onto hurt harbors negative feelings and cuts you off from opportunities to love, and that’s just bad juju.
- Overactive- entitlement, jealousy, blaming others, codependent, giving too much, self-sacrificing
- Underactive- fear of rejection, unloved, self pity, neediness, trust issues, hateful, intolerant, lack of empathy, bitter
- Balanced- loved, loving, empathetic, balance in relationships, healthy immune system, compassionate, peaceful, warm, open
Crystals: Rose quartz, Malachite, Green aventurine, Amazonite, Rhodonite, Chrysocolla, Chrysoprase
Solar Plexus Chakra
Purpose: Power, self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem
Location: Slightly above the navel
Physical Body: Spine, spleen, upper abdomen, gallbladder, pancreas, small intestines, digestive system, metabolism
What it is: This chakra is your source of personal power, ruling over self-esteem. It controls our ability to be confident and in control of our lives. It’s also associated with fear, anxiety, and our sense of purpose. It governs all things metabolic, digestive, and stomach related.
When it’s blocked: You can suffer from low self-esteem, have difficulty making decisions, and may have anger or control issues. It’s not just feeling badly about yourself, but also may lead you to outwardly express apathy, procrastination, or that you’re able to be taken advantage of easily. Likewise, you’ll may have stomach or digestive issues.
- Overactive - judgemental, stubborn, critical, bully, controlling, critical, perfectionist, domineering, power hungry
- Underactive - low self-esteem, doubt, procrastinates, apathetic, feels taken advantage of, powerless, inferior, lack of confidence
- Balanced - respect for self & others, confident, calm, problem solver, positive self-image, personal drive and motivation, courage, in control
Crystals: Citrine, Pyrite, Amber, Yellow Calcite, Sunstone, Yellow Topaz
Purpose: Authentic creation, creator, soul fire, sexuality
Location: Slightly below navel
Physical Body: Reproductive organs, urinary system, spleen, low back
What it is: This chakra is responsible for our creative and sexual energies. It’s also our connection with others and new experiences and having healthy boundaries.
When it’s blocked: When you’re feeling uninspired creatively or have some emotional instability, your sacral chakra may be misaligned. Likewise, this can also be associated with physical sexual dysfunction, while also potentially experiencing fear of change, depression, or addiction-like behaviors.
- Overactive - crave power, manipulative, possessive, jealous, overly emotional, hedonistic, overly pleasure seeking
- Underactive - shy, guilty, concerned with what others think, lack of creativity, isolated, low libido or fear of intimacy, lack of motivation or drive
- Balanced - friendly, passionate, creative, joy and pleasure, optimistic, positive relations, passion, open, healthy libido
Crystals: Carnelian, Tiger’s Eye, Sunstone, Orange Calcite
Purpose: Survival, security, stability
Location: Base of spine
Physical Body: Feet, knees, legs, kidneys, adrenals, perineum, base of spine, large intestines
What it is: This chakra, as its name suggests, relates to being grounded - our survival instincts, and basic needs. This chakra is our foundation and is all about feeling safe and secure. It’s connected with how we nourish ourselves (food + water), as well as our home, shelter and money, and on an emotional level feeling safe and letting go of fear.
When it’s blocked: A variety of ailments can occur from blockages, including anxiety disorders, fears, or nightmares. Physically, the first chakra is associated with problems in the colon, with the bladder, with elimination, or with lower back, leg, or feet issues.
- Overactive - bossy, domineering, egoic, greedy, violent, materialistic, aggressive, greedy, wanting power, cynical
- Underactive - insecure, unloved, fearful, fatigue, feel threatened, anxious, unsure, unstable, financial instability, ungrounded
- Balanced - Feel grounded and comfortable, sense of belonging, trust, independent, safe, centered, stable, secure, happy to be alive
Crystals: Red Jasper, Onyx, Hematite, Smoky Quartz, Black Tourmaline
Jewelry Designer, Gemologist & Reiki Certified
*Information in this guide is compiled from several sources